Last Updated: May 18, 2021
The terms of the Policy may be updated from time to time. If you continue to visit and interact with the Site after such changes are made, you are consenting to the updated policy.
Information We May Collect
The Site collects information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of the visitor’s interaction with the Site. The Site may collect from you information in several ways.
The Site uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) server software to prevent unauthorized access to the information you submit when you provide personal information. When you enter your information, SSL encrypts all information you input before it is sent to us. You can identify the secure connection by looking at the URL, which will display a padlock icon and “https:” prefix (instead of “http:”).
Information You Give Us
We collect your name, email address, username, password, as well as other information you directly give us on the Site.
For example, as a visitor, you can communicate with us through the Site using a contact form. When you elect to use the contact form to send us a message, you are asked to provide personally identifiable information, such as your name and your email address.
Information Automatically Collected
We automatically log information about you and your computer.
The Site may log information using “cookies.” Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive by a web site. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Site. This type of information is collected to make the Site more useful to you and to tailor the experience with us to meet your special interests and needs.
For example, if you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year. Also, if you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
To limit the collection of your information by disabling cookies, many web browsers are set to initially accept cookies, but offer a number of ways to control cookie preferences. For step-by-step instructions on how to modify cookie preferences, you should consult your browser’s support documentation. For your convenience, you can find instruction for the following browsers here:
- Google Chrome, https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en
- Firefox, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/clear-cookies-and-site-data-firefox
- Safari, https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/safari/sfri11471/mac
- Microsoft Edge, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027947/microsoft-edge-delete-cookies
The Site does not require you to accept cookies, but disabling cookies on your browser may reduce the functionality of some features.
When visitors leave comments on the Site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the Site, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Embedded Content from Other Websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who We Share Your Data With
No personal information collected through the Site is knowingly sold to any third party marketers or data brokers.
The Site shares information about you in the limited circumstances with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their service to the Site or to you. This group includes the following:
- Google Web Fonts. For uniform representation of fonts, this page uses web fonts provided by Google. When you open a page, your browser loads the required web fonts into your browser cache to display texts and fonts correctly. For this purpose your browser has to establish a direct connection to Google servers. Google thus becomes aware that our web page was accessed via your IP address. The use of Google Web fonts is done in the interest of a uniform and attractive presentation of our plugin. If your browser does not support web fonts, a standard font is used by your computer.
- YouTube. The Site uses plugins from YouTube, which is operated by Google. The operator of the pages is YouTube LLC, 901 Cherry Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066, USA. If you visit one of our pages featuring a YouTube plugin, a connection to the YouTube servers is established. Here the YouTube server is informed about which of our pages you have visited. If you’re logged in to your YouTube account, YouTube allows you to associate your browsing behavior directly with your personal profile. You can prevent this by logging out of your YouTube account.
- Google reCAPTCHA. To help protect the Site from malicious software, the Site uses Google reCAPTCHA (v3), which uses an advanced risk analysis engine and adaptive challenges to keep malicious software from engaging in abusive activities on websites. The reCAPTCHA API works by collecting hardware and software information, such as device and application data, and sending these data to Google for analysis. The information collected in connection with your use of the service will be used for improving reCAPTCHA and for general security purposes.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where We Send Your Data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.